Saturday, November 26, 2011

Burlap Tassels

I've always been fascinated by tassels.  You can adorn just about anything with them.  You could hang them on your Christmas tree as an ornament, you could hang them off knobs on a hutch, you can hang one off the top off an apothecary jar....the possibilities are endless!

There are so many different elements that can be used when making tassels.  For this one I used: a wood knob (that is meant to be used for a pull cord on shades) but you could use wood beads.

I spray painted mine with silver paint.  The key is you want a LARGE hole at the bottom and a smaller hole at the top, which is why a pull cord knob worked great for this.  But you could stack 2 beads on top of each other and get creative with the sizes and shapes of your wood beads.
I used the leftover burlap fibers from my Flat Burlap Fringe project last week.

DMC embroidery threads are perfect to use with tassels.  I added a few strands of tiny silver beads I strung, just to give it some texture and shine.

Just wrap your fibers around cardboard as a guide, then simply slip a ribbon through the top of your cardboard between the fibers, tie a tight knot and then clip the fibers along the bottom of the cardboard.  Then you feed your ribbon up through the large hole of your bead.  This is the basics of making tassels, I'll probably do a more detailed version in the near future.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Did you ever do a tutorial that gave more detail on how you make your DIY tassels? I have looked and looked and am unable to locate. I am planing my living room drapes and want to make tiebacks for them with a tassel on each. If you have, please drop me a line on my blog and tell me where I should be looking.

    JIC you need it my blog address is
    http://nanasrcool-nanasrcoolandlovetoquilt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never did get around to doing a tutorial on tassels. I will try to get to that soon since you are interested. I have the beads for it, just need to gather the fibers, when I do, I'll do a tutorial.
    Now you've got my creative juices flowing for tassels!
    Jules

    ReplyDelete